As part of our own research and development, we have run a number of our own citizen science projects internally with our staff to test our own tools, like the BDRS. These have included:
- The bat survey project, where our staff recorded bats around the Perth metropolitan area using Anabat recorders and our mobile tools (see our blog here from back in 2012),
- Our Night Stalk event we held back in 2011 (aka “don’t ask Piers to identify a possum”),
- The mole cricket experiments, where we used social media to record sightings of mole crickets (see our various blogs about this interesting insect),
- Piers has migrated his own bird observations into our Gaia Resources BDRS instance, and has set up an ongoing survey using our mobile tools, and
- Our “coffee” survey – where we have been using the app to record how good – or bad – the coffee is on our travels.
There are a number of other projects we’ve looked at with staff, and will be adding to in the future as we devleop more internal projects.