Gaia Resources were invited to the final round of tendering for a project in 2018 to create a commercial and recreational fishing app for the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Queensland.
The invitation Hackathon involved a 5-day intensive challenge to develop apps to demonstrate innovative solutions to some key challenges:
- one recreational app to provide information about geofenced regions of Queensland and show allowed and prohibited activities in a region and log your catch,
- a second app to assist the automated submission of logbook data for Commercial fisheries.
Although the proof-of-concepts apps were developed in only 5 days and were not production-ready, the process led to a detailed understanding of the Commercial and eLogBook submission process, and in the 5 days, we were able to produce two lightweight iOS apps to demonstrate the required functionality.
- Two lightweight demonstration iOS apps in the 5-day hackathon
- Enhanced understanding of the eLogBook submission process in Queensland Fisheries
- New innovative region geofencing and species logging functionality