Gaia Resources has run office-based environmentally-focused Quantum GIS (QGIS) training for a number of years, both at our premises and at the offices of our clients. We still offer these classroom based training courses, but thanks to support from the South Coast NRM Project Dieback and the Western Australian Natural Resource Management (NRM) Program we are now able to offer it as a freely available online course. You can watch the introduction from our CEO, Piers Higgs, via the video below.
What does the training entail?
The training course covers the same material as the classroom-based course:
- Introduction to GIS,
- Introduction to coordinate reference systems,
- Familiarising yourself with QGIS,
- Data formats, structure and review,
- Data theming,
- Importing data and amending attributes,
- Using expressions/ field calculator,
- Creating, modifying and joining data,
- Cleaning data,
- Geoprocessing and other handy tools,
- Useful sources of spatial information/web map service connections, and
- Making maps!
How do I get started?
You can start watching the Youtube videos straight away on our Gaia Resources channel. As we work through additional course materials, then we’ll add more videos to the series.
What about the manual and sample data?
If you’d like to get hold of the manual and sample data, just email us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send them to you. We do this so that we can see who’s using our courses, and so we can get feedback from you. We’ll also subscribe you to our mailing list for future updates to the course and about Gaia Resources in our monthly newsletter.